This post is not about the Neil Diamond song although that is certainly awesome!
This is the seed and nut mix I mentioned making in my post The Great Sugar Battle of 2015 along with another great alternative idea for a Primal breakfast.
All you need is a blender and an oven to get going.
Primal Flavours Crunchy Granola Mix
- 1 Cup Natural Almond Meal
- 1 Cup Raw Mixed in Nuts (no peanuts)
- 1 Cup Unsweetened Desiccated Coconut
- 2/3 Cup Melted Coconut Oil
- 1/2 Cup Sunflower seeds
- 1/2 Cup Pumpkin Seeds
- 1/2 Cup Black Chia Seeds
- 1/2 Cup Golden Flaxseed
- 1/2 Cup Inactive yeast flakes (high in vitamin B)
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Egg
- Add Stevia or other Sweetener of choice to taste (I used about seven teaspoons of granulated)
Grind all the nuts and seeds in batches until quite fine.
Mix all the remaining ingredients together with the ground nuts and seed mix in a bowl.
Spread into an even thin layer on a baking tray and bake in the oven at 180°C for approximately 20 – 25 minutes.
Turn every 5 minutes or so, until toasted and golden.
Cool and store in an airtight container.
Sprinkle or blend the mix with greek yoghurt or thickened cream for a real treat.
Primal Flavours Granola Smoothie
- 1/2 Cup of Primal Flavours Granola Mix
- 500ml Unsweetened Coconut or Almond Milk
- 1/2 Avocado or 40g Avocado Pulp
- 1 Tablespoon of low carb drinking chocolate
- Stevia or other Sweetener to taste
- Optional extra – 30g Whey Protein Isolate
Other possible flavours:
Add a banana, fresh or frozen
Add a handful of frozen berries
In the blender mix everything together until smooth.
This drink will thicken on standing, so have a spoon ready for when you get to the bottom of your glass. 😉
This drink is a meal by itself and a great way to start the day.
Drink and enjoy.
If you’ve got any unusual variants we can try, let us know by commenting below!
And in case you haven’t heard the man himself: